Key Stage 1
If you are 5, 6 or 7, I bet you probably like to use the computer for fun. It is important that you are safe whilst you are on the computer. It is important that you make sure you are safe when using your computer.
You can find more information at http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/5_7/
How can I stay safe on the computer?
There are lots of ways you can be careful when you talk to people on the internet. Here are some of the things you should do:
- Always ask your mum, dad or whoever is looking after you if you can talk to people on the internet. They can help you do it safely.
- When you use chat rooms or instant messengers you should use a nickname instead of your real name.
- Never tell anyone who you don’t know in the real world your address, your name or which school you go to.
- Ask your mum, dad or teacher to help you if you are just starting to chat to new people on the computer. They can make sure you fill out any forms properly and safely.
- Some people on the internet may not be who they say they are. It’s not a good idea to meet anyone that you only know from talking to on the computer.
- Always ask your mum or dad before you play games on the internet. They can help you choose the best games and you can help them learn to play them!
- It’s always best to use a nick name when you play games on the computer.
- Some people who you talk to when you play games could be lying, so don’t tell anyone where you live or which school you go to.
If you have email you need to be careful when using it, because sometimes you can get mail from people you don’t know.
- Always ask your mum, dad or whoever looks after you before you open any emails.
- Always delete emails from people you don’t know. They might be nasty or have a virus which can stop your computer working.
- Don’t send any pictures to strangers. They may not be who they say they are, and you don’t want a stranger to have a picture of you or your family and friends.
- Never tell anyone who you don’t know in the real world your address, your phone number or which school you go to.
- One of the most important things to remember is to treat people how you would like to be treated. Be kind and nice when you write anything on the computer so you don’t upset anyone.
- The internet is just like the real world – nice people use the internet, but some nasty people do too.
- It’s important that you are nice and kind when you use the computer to talk to people. Even if you can’t see someone, things you write might still upset them.
- If anyone is nasty to you or makes you unhappy – you must tell a grown up so that they can help you and make the person stop.